Re: [rfc-i] Public archival of AUTH48 communications

Perhaps there should be an auth48 mailing list per working group? It would be used for all auth48 interactions associated with the docs for that WG. When a doc from a WG enters auth48, a note would be sent to the WG indicating the location of that working group mailing list. Non-WG auth48 interactions could use a single non-WG mailing list.

I think this would satisfy both Ted's and Ekr's preferences. (Mine too. :) )

Advantages:

*) Separates the auth48 traffic away from the working group.
*) Separates the auth48 traffic for one WG from all other auth48 traffic.
*) Reduces the number of mailing lists that need to be managed.
*) The mailing list could be moderated to only allow the auth48 authors (and RPC) to post to it, and only while their documents are in that state.
*) Allows someone who wants to follow the auth48 traffic for that WG to do so.
*) Doesn't force someone (who is interested in following the auth48 traffic for a given set of WGs) from seeing the back and forth for ALL WGs.

I think the last two bullets are particularly important.

	Tony

On 2/25/2022, 10:15 AM, "rfc-interest on behalf of Ted Hardie" <rfc-interest-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 2:19 PM Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    > While I think transparency is good, I think sending them through the WG list would be a mistake.
    >
    > In many cases there is a tremendous amount of back and forth about small details that I would prefer not to be bothered with for every WG list I am on.
    >
    > I don't object to a separate list that WG members could subscribe to.
    >
    > -Ekr

    This would work for me, and I think it is a nice parallel to the way
    the GH comment streams are set up in the working groups that use them.
    There is a separate list you can subscribe to, and it's your choice as
    to whether to intermingle that in your folders with the main WG list.
    I personally keep them nested under the main list, and I'd do the same
    here, but I like the flexibility this proposal offers.