Re: RFC 4858 on shepherding

tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    ev> To be honest, this is not really easy to find volunteers to be
    ev> shepherd, but sometimes it works ;-)

    tp> My experience is otherwise (Routing, Ops WGs).  I think it rare for a
    tp> WG Chair to be shepherd and I often see a Chair asking for a
    tp> volunteer to be shepherd and getting one, perhaps a Chair of another

If document shepherding is working well in the Routing area, that's really
great news.  Can you teach the rest of us how to be better?

    tp> WG.  (I am amazed, looking at the Datatracker, how many names there
    tp> are that I think of as document authors who are actually WG Chairs of
    tp> another WG).

Well, so maybe this is really what's happening: people who are chairs know
the challenges that other chairs have.

    tp> Where the process may be less good is the production of the shepherd
    tp> report and discussion thereof, taking time and not having a mechanism
    tp> for resolution of disagreements between Shepherd and WG Chairs.

!

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )