Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Scott Bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care
    > and sparingly.  In particular, they MUST only be used where it is
    > actually required for interoperation or to limit behavior which has
    > potential for causing harm (e.g., limiting retransmisssions)  For
    > example, they must not be used to try to impose a particular method
    > on implementors where the method is not required for
    > interoperability.

My impression from the ~10 RFCs I've gotten out in the past three years
is that IESG of recent has been pushing for all SHOULDs that do not have
clear escape clauses to be MUSTs.
I guess if there is no interoperation issue at all, then they become MAYs.
(Or even, why is it even there?)

That's not consistent with the above text.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )