Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 11 Feb 2022, at 12:08, Scott Bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do not think it is useful to use SHOULD without specifically saying what the escape clause is -
i.e. specifically say when its OK to not act as if it was a MUST

Hi Scott

The problem with that is it requires perfect foresight on the exceptions.

I have always taken SHOULD to mean that you MUST do this unless you have a good reason not to do this and understand the consequences for your system in its deployment environment.

In other words I think we need to trust the engineer implementing the system to apply good judgement when they ignore the MUST element of the SHOULD.

- Stewart