Re: educational challenges to improving IETF diversity and inclusiveness

Hi Greg,

Thanks alot, I agree with you,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 8:48 PM Greg Skinner <gregskinner0=40icloud.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In their latest diversity and inclusiveness draft, the authors have identified some challenges in getting newcomers better able to participate in the IETF, such as knowledge of mature IETF protocols, and the ability to assess protocols critically.  They recommended two textbooks that can help here.  I have two more suggestions, and am interested in other resources that could be useful in this regard.

Principles of Computer System Design: An Introduction (Saltzer, Kaashoek)
Computer Networks: A Systems Approach (Peterson, Davie)

In addition to communications protocols, both books cover principles of security and some of the analytic techniques used to assess network performance.  Several chapters from the first textbook, and all of the second textbook, are online.  Also, Saltzer has been an influence on many key IETF contributors, historically.

No much time, most experts are busy,,,, I don't think books/papers/standards is the issue, the newcomer needs more open environment/community/WG or more guidance. However, there needs to be some effort from management in discussions.

If you feel there is a better list for this discussion (such as the diversity list, which has been inactive for over three years), please provide your suggestions.

my suggestion that it is the right place, making a list for diversity may not improve it, the lists are done for improving progress/solutions. We need to identify the problem.
There are participants (I am not sure of my opinion yet, before I was, but changed expectations) that don't think there is a problem or importance. The diversity list which I was participating on was not active maybe because no director, within all IETF efforts we need a director or motivator to make input/volunteer, the importance of any effort needs to get value from participants or director. I lost my opinions or interest because no motivator or no time or no shown interest from IETF.

 Engineers may get busy in other issues if no community-interest or value in-progressing.

Regards
AB