Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Moving RFC911 to Historic

RFCs are immutable objects. I think of them as books on a shelf.
Mostly labels and categories are imposed on them for the convenience
of the IETF and other users of the documents. Early RFCs, unlike more
recent ones, generally did not have such labeling within the document.
But I have always thought that it would not be that hard to classify
almost all the "Unknown" status RFCs into our modern categories.
Trying to do this for all of them at once would be a large, perhaps
impractical task but doing it as convenient when early RFCs are
encountered or noticed doesn't seem so hard. It is fairly clear to me
that RFC 911 and similar documentation of specific implementations
should be labeled Informational while RFC 760 should be labeled
Standards Track. I don't see that the IETF deciding that some early
RFC should have some particular label for IETF purposes as interfering
with the authority of the RFC Editor. It's not like the early RFCs,
which are immutable, are actually being changed. The book on the shelf
remains the same.

I suppose this is somewhat orthogonal to whether RFC 911 should be
Historic and who should decide that. Probably for early enough RFCs,
that should be under the authority of the RFC Editor but I'm not sure
why the RFC Editor would want the burden and would probably be happy
to delegate it to the IETF.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx