Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 01:34:06PM +0200, jfcm wrote:
> Dear Markus,
> to know where your remarks may lead, let come back to 1993.

You mean like in
http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/archives/WWW-TALK/www-talk-1993q4.messages/579.html

> At 21:16 23/04/04, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> >Hmmm ...
> >    For instance, Internet addresses ending in ".mobi" would allow sites
> >    built for the small screens of mobile phones.

This was a cite from the article, not my opinion!
If it wasn't clear from my posting: I am *against* those new TLDs.

> >IMHO all these have their origin in that the "semantic web" is at best
> >a slow starter and they try to put sematics into the web by adding
> >"semantic TLDs".
>
> "Semantic web" is only DNC (Domain Name Confusion) unless it uses a correct
> grammar (oherwise there will be nothing to sell even for the worst
> merchant). Grammar says the protocol is in the scheme, the intefaces in
> upper level names, domain name in the SLD and the interneted network in the
> TLD.

You are talking about IMHO the syntax of URLs, I am talking about
    http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
and
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?articleID=00048144-10D2-1C70-84A9809EC588EF21&catID=2
where people would probably stop abusing DNS domains as registers
for marketing, to reflect content in the domain name.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299