Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:29:03AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> I have to digest the rest of this further, but I would say right away that
> if I connect to http://ibm.tel, I'd probably expect to reach the VOIP
> portal, where I could sign up for VOIP services from IBM.  I'd expect that
> a voip connection to tel://ibm.com would get me to the headquarters
> switchboard, and that tel://ibm.tel gets me to the VOIP switchboard (ie
> VOIP customer service).

Hmmm ...
    For instance, Internet addresses ending in ".mobi" would allow sites
    built for the small screens of mobile phones.

>From that reading I'd conclude they have no interest in registering
another domain like
    ibm-mobile
    miscrosoft-mobile
and so on, but rather have a new TLD where they could put
    ibm.mobi
    microsoft.mobi
and so on.

There is no need for a .mobi (and why the hell don't they use .mobile)
domain in order to deliver optimized web pages/sites.

IMHO all these have their origin in that the "semantic web" is at best
a slow starter and they try to put sematics into the web by adding
"semantic TLDs".

So in the future we will see a lot more sponsored requests for new TLDs
like >>insert index of yellow pages<<.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299