Re: The leadership pipeline and WG chairs

On 14 Nov 2021, at 00:22, Lloyd W <lloyd.wood=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 14 Nov 2021, at 01:07, Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also want the Area Directors to look through their working groups and consider asking some experienced people to step down so that their position can be filled by someone new to the role.

The IETF has an ageing, dwindling, population.

Where will these new people come from?

Asking experienced people to step down when the replacement pipeline is in fact empty does not seem wise -- at least, in the short term.

L.

Listening to Geoff Huston's well thought out predictions on the future of the Internet,

I wonder how much this matters?

We seem to be heading to a world of multiple private communication systems with little if any of the Internet that supported permissionless innovation across the globe surviving.

So in my view, the only leadership worth discussing is leadership with the vision and skills to turn this situation around.

I would be very interested to know if this is even on the IESG radar, and if so what their thoughts are?

- Stewart