Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-eggert-bcp45bis-06.txt> (IETF Discussion List Charter) to Best Current Practice

Hi Paul,
At 01:56 PM 20-10-2021, Paul Wouters wrote:
Note I'm currently not on the list discussed, which I would argue is due to the "considerable latitude"? allowed.

The Shepherd write-up or Appendix B of the draft does not list that change.

I personally wish we could separate the content of the discussion from the method of discussion. I'd say considerable latitude about topics is fine, but with respect to the method of discussion and inclusivity, I would hope less latitude is granted. Probably better people than me have already considered this in more depth than me though, and I don't have any insights to improve the text here or the list at last call.

I don't remember seeing that discussed in gendispatch. Driving away people who are on the opposing side (on an issue) is not a good way to build consensus.

There are unusual cases for which it it is better to allow some leeway. The determination of when to do that and how to identify the boundary requires an understanding of the people and the underlying issues.

I do wish we would retire the term SAA. It's unnecessarily militaristic (possibly due to English not being my native language) and seems like a silly workaround for avoiding the commonly used term "moderator".

The term generally used in other fora is "moderator".

Regards,
S. Moonesamy