Re: [Last-Call] [Gendispatch] Last Call: <draft-eggert-bcp45bis-06.txt> (IETF Discussion List Charter) to Best Current Practice

Let me first address some of Barry's points with which I agree:

Now some points on which I disagree:

The draft makes it clear that the purpose of the SAA team is to allow
the IETF Chair to appoint people to handle this role, and then to step
back and *not* be a king, to *not* have a day-to-day role in
monitoring and managing the IETF list.  That is as it should be.

I agree that the IETF Chair should not be a king and not have a day-to-day role in monitoring and managing the IETF list.

I disagree that the draft makes this clear.   While the draft does state:

   the IETF Chair should stay away from the
   day-to-day operation and management of the SAA team.

It also states:

   This has been
   in practice for a while, and the SAA team has independently
   maintained definitions of abuse patterns [SAA-UPC] and operating
   procedures [SAA-SOP] for them.  The SAA team should reach out to the
   IETF Chair for any conflict resolution in a timely manner.

So it doesn't define objective criteria for the SAAs to independently follow (nor for the IAB to use in evaluating appeals).  Instead, it expects the SAAs to make up their own criteria without getting community support for their positions, and to follow the direction of the IETF Chair for "conflict resolution" (which is itself vague - does it refer to conflict between SAA opinions, conflict between SAA opinion and IETF consensus document, or conflicts between individual IETF participants?).    This seems like a significant expansion of the roles described in RFC 3005, that we're being asked to approve as if these changes were nothing.

I can understand, however, if for the sake of expedience the SAAs need to make up new temporary rules, to be later vetted (or not) by an IETF Consensus process.

I DO NOT think the IETF Chair should be doing so.  The IETF Chair needs to stay out of it.

Part of the problem is that in recent history an IETF Chair *has* acted like a king; *has* used the SAAs to suppress dissenting views; *has* apparently dictated to SAAs and others vague, arbitrary, and prejudiced criteria that were never supported by community consensus.  I believe that this has had a chilling effect on IETF discussions, and that this draft really does nothing to address those concerns.

----

The very term "Best Current Practice" acknowledges that a best practice may be dependent on current conditions.   What the community approved as "Best Current Practice" 20+ years ago should not be axiomatically presumed to be even good practice now.   Which is why arguments that this new document should be approved, because it's only a minor change from RFC 3005, are unpersuasive.

Conditions in the Internet, and in IETF, have changed drastically since 2000.   The Internet serves a much more diverse population now, with more diverse needs, and people everywhere are constantly facing new threats presented to them by the Internet.   In addition, censorship and suppression of dissenting views is now (sadly) much more in fashion than it was in 2000.   (To be fair, disinformation is also (sadly) much more in fashion.)

While IETF has traditionally been quite tolerant of diverse views, today the ability of participants with diverse points-of-view to provide input into IETF's deliberations is needed more than ever before.  And yet, the SAAs have been used in the recent past to promote intolerance of diverse views, apparently on the dubious theory that the way to make IETF more inclusive is to suppress views or expressions of views that some people find unsettling.

The aggregate effect of such efforts is to make IETF more like an echo chamber, in which everyone is expected to "know their place" - i.e. know to not express views that might conflict with the views of those in power, or otherwise know the unwritten "rules".   This is, after all, often what is expected of "professionals" in their workplaces, which is yet another reason why "professional" is a poor criterion for describing which behavior is appropriate or not in IETF discussions.

In effect, what the community is now being asked to do is to retroactively approve a power grab that's been made by a previous IETF chair.   I argue that this power grab is not in the interests of the community, not consistent with IETF's purpose, and not supportive of consensus-based decision making.

Furthermore the author of this document has seemed unwilling to date to try to address these concerns in any significant way. He has seemed unwilling to even acknowledge those concerns as even potentially legitimate.

Barry also writes:

That not everyone is happy with everything it says shows that we have *rough consensus*, not unanimity

Well, of course it doesn't show that at all!   No, we don't need unanimity to declare rough consensus.   But rough consensus has not yet been established, and there's generally an expectation that consensus-building requires a good faith effort to acknowledge various parties' concerns and to try to see how they are legitimate.   I don't think that's happened here.

So no, we do not have even rough consensus on this issue.

Keith