Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-eggert-bcp45bis-06.txt> (IETF Discussion List Charter) to Best Current Practice

On 10/20/21 4:56 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:

I personally wish we could separate the content of the discussion from the method of discussion. I’d say considerable latitude about topics is fine, but with respect to the method of discussion and inclusivity, I would hope less latitude is granted. Probably better people than me have already considered this in more depth than me though, and I don’t have any insights to improve the text here or the list at last call.

As far as I can tell, this is a very slippery slope.   Efforts to oppress particular participants, or topics, can always be couched in terms of suppressing the _method_ in which those weighing in on those topics present their views.

I am certainly on board with the guidelines for conduct (except for the problematic word "professional" and its derivatives). But when the rules are deliberately vague and subject to arbitrary enforcement, the rules effectively become "don't rock the boat, and don't object to what those in power seem to want".   That's not an effective way to resolve technical issues; even less so for organizational/political ones.

Keith