Re: [Last-Call] [art] Artart last call review of draft-zern-webp-03

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 9:02 AM Ned Freed <ned.freed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hi Dale,
>
> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 8:53 PM Dale R. Worley <worley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > It looked like there was some controversy about this, so I decided to
> > > take a look.  It does seem to me that if it wants to claim an IETF mime
> > > type rather than a vnd. one, at the least the exposition needs to be
> > > clarified.
> > >
> > > The introduction of the draft itself references various features of the
> > > encoding but seems to be more oriented toward the connoisseur of image
> > > encoding formats than users.  The documents are wishy-washy regarding
> > > compatibility and extensibility, as if these are current snapshots of
> > > something that is expected to evolve organically.
> > >
> > > For instance, section 4 "Interoperability Considerations" includes "The
> > > container is RIFF-based and allows extension via user defined chunks"
> > > but does not mention this statement in the referenced document:  "Older
> > > readers may not support files using the lossless format."
> > >
> > > If we aren't just assigning a code for a vendor's product, we need to
> > > put a stake in the ground that is definitive what the format is and
> > > isn't, that we expect to stay in the same place for at least five years.
> > >

> > The format is finalized. Lossless and animation were added in 2012 [1]
> > and 2013 [2], respectively. The comment is in reference to older
> > Android releases [3] as those features were being rolled out.
>
> Then why is there a problem documenting the format in the RFC, as opposed to
> depending on a reference to a web page?
>
> I'm just not seeing why you're insisting on a standards tree type
> defined on a web page. Either switch to vendor or document the format
> in the specification.

I don't think a vendor type is best as image/webp has been used
unofficially since 2010. The browsers that support the format now rely
on this so transitioning to a new one would potentially cause some
compatibility issues.

If a RFC is a requirement then we can go in that direction. This
request came from a suggestion by IANA media types during the attempt
to register. I don't know that it has been made a requirement
consistently, though. image/avif was registered without one using
externally hosted documentation:
https://aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/