RE: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

> On 2021-9-27, at 18:36, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In an admirable effort to be transparent, we have inundated this list in
> particular with data.  We now need to take the time to reduce that data  to
> usable information.  Please take another swing.
>
> the IESG certainly could. But I'm also pretty convinced that whatever proposal
> we came up with would get improved by the community pretty immediately.
>
> So maybe we could try the opposite, and see if the community has some
> consensus on what information they would like to retain on ietf-announce,
> under the assumption that that would then remain our lists for broad
> announcements.
>
> For reference, here's again the list of posting classes that currently go there, and
> the count of messages in each class in the last year:
>
> 1.  Announcements sent manually by <various roles> = 284
> 2.  Announcements of new and updated WG charters & WG closures = 44
> 3.  (included in above 44)
> 4.  Announcements of new non-WG mailing lists =	13
> 5.  Announcements of new RFCs =	275
> 6.  IESG and LLC telechat announcements = 39
> 7.  Announcements of document actions = 175
> 8.  Announcements of IESG conflict-review results = 14
> 9.  Last call announcements for I-Ds = 174 (+ 4 for other actions)
> 10. Interim WG meeting announcements = 256
>
> The "important-news" proposal would only retain those under (1) above. (We
> could have a conversation if some of those could also be moved elsewhere, but
> that's maybe a separate discussion.)
>
> For any type of posting we'd remove, we could of course create a new list, so
> that the information was still shared. I understand that when we move to
> mailman3, we'll get a much better web-based subscription interface that will
> make managing subscriptions much more straightforward.

I wonder... if 2 - 10 could all be sent to other list(s) and then a single weekly summary email sent to ietf-announce that has the list of subject lines with a link to the email in the archive.
This could even be done with a lot of emails from category 1.
Barbara