Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

There were many places to hang this comment in this thread, but I'm going to hang here, because Eliot does make a very good point about too much noise.

I believe that there should be a list, it doesn't matter which one, to which every "participant" in the IETF is required to be subscribed.

What is sent to that list should be precisely the small subset of information it is considered absolutely necessary to know in order to participate meaningfully in the IETF.  That means it needs to be:

either:

The key goal should be that roughly-nobody (in the vein of rough consensus) feels that their time is wasted by reading emails to this list.  They SHOULD NOT (maybe even MUST NOT) be duplicates of full emails sent to other lists - they are the headlines of must-know information and pointers to more detail, that's all.

Other than totally urgent things on the order of an IETF being rescheduled, I would say that a maximum of one post per week should be enough traffic for this kind of list.

And yes, I would say that full-IETF surveys (up to a maximum of a quite small number per year) are reasonable to send to such a list.  The ability to survey your membership is very important to be able to serve them well and not just serve the loudest voices.

Regards,

Bron.