Re: IETF 114 in the USA

On 21-Sep-21 05:43, Michael StJohns wrote:
> On 9/20/2021 12:33 PM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
>> I do not mind where it is, just that I think it should be someplace that has not had a 17month blanket travel band and no sign of lifting it.
>>
>> Canada would be fine.
>
> Stuart - here's the reality.   For most (all?) locations, there will be restrictions.  Canada for example, has a limited list of approved vaccines (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/foreign-sept7-vaccine).  Sinovac is not on that list.  E.g. most PRC citizens would not be admitted to China at this time.
>
> There's a nifty wizard that Canada provides (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start) that can tell give you an indication of whether you might be admitted or not.
>
> Other locations allow you to come in if vaccinated, but if your country
is not on their "green" list, you may have as much as a 14 day quarantine
before you can move about freely.

> Going back to what Joel said, things will change between now and when we're supposed to be in the US for an IETF.  I would be surprised if anyone has a clue at this point as to the final direction of the change by the time we have to decide.

There's a rather strange assumption in this discussion that just because a country (say the US) decides to allow inbound vaccinated travellers, people will therefore show up at an IETF meeting in that country.

In fact, that will depend on (a) the personal appetite for risk of each potential participant and (b) the travel policy of each potential participant's employer (inlcuding their insurance company) and (c) the travel and
quarantine policy of the potential participant's country of residence.

It's just too complicated to predict the situation at the time of IETF 114.

   Brian