Re: IETF 114 in the USA

On 20/09/2021 13:55, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
I don't think there is any value to be had in the game of guessing which
country will be more or less open to visitors in nine months time.

Any country can shut down with little or no notice. And it is not just
stopping people in that is the issue, it is people unable to get back home.
There are still people who have been unable to get home from the 2020
lockdowns.

And my sense from earlier discussions is that the planning horizon for IETF meetings is more like three years than nine months.

As John's follow-up suggested, it may be that we do not meet in person for some years and I trust that Jay and co have crunched the numbers as to what it takes for the IETF to survive that. I also expect that changing plans in less than three years notice will increase costs.

And whatever the conditions are now, a new, zeta variant, to which some vaccines do not offer adequate protection, can change the constraints on travel at a few weeks notice or less.

Difficult, IMHO,

Tom Petch

US regulations have much wider impact than the US. Corporate travel
restrictions tend to be at least as restrictive as the US. It is highly
unlikely that we can have a productive meeting anywhere on the planet while
US travel restrictions are in place.

The people of a certain ideological faith spend a lot of time jabbering
enthusiastically about 'regulatory arbitrage'. In practice, regulation
tends to spread far beyond the sovereign territory it theoretically applies
to. The device you are reading this on is almost certainly RoHS certified
(or pretends to be) despite the fact that this is only a legal requirement
in the EU.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@xxxxxxxxx>