Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-ospfv3-codepoint-04.txt> (OSPFv3 CodePoint for MPLS LSP Ping) to Proposed Standard

On 09/09/2021 17:18, Nagendra Kumar Nainar (naikumar) wrote:
HI Tom,

Apologies for the delay. Please see below for our response.

s.6
"   This document specifies that the above code points will be used only
     for OSPFv2."

Perhaps a place for a  'SHALL'.

<Nagendra>  Since the code point should be used only for OSPFv2, should we use “SHOULD”?.

Well, they are different. SHALL is the same as MUST in RFC2119, an absolute requirement of the specification.

SHOULD allows for valid reasons to ignore the requirement and usually, although not always, is accompanied by text indicating when it is valid to ignore it.

'will be used only' comes across to me as a SHALL, not a SHOULD (as does a read of RFC8287).

Tom Petch

Thanks,
Nagendra