Re: [Last-Call] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-12

Thanks for the updates! One quick comment below.

> On 7. Sep 2021, at 18:23, Wessels, Duane <dwessels@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 25, 2021, at 8:51 AM, Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> First a minor comment here:
>> "TCP connection timeout, which is often around 60-120 seconds."
>> I guess this value relates to an RTO of 1s and 6 SYN retries which is the
>> default in Linux. Maybe say that...? I also recommend to add a link to RFC6298.
>
> I've made this addition to the paragraph in section 4.1:
>
>   ... rather than
>   rely on the host operating system's TCP connection timeout, which is
>   often around 60-120 seconds (i.e., due to an initial retransmission
>   timeout of 1 second, the exponential back off rules of [RFC6298], and
>   a limit of six retries as is the default in Linux).
>

>> And a more general comment on section 4.2: this section takes about various
>> limits but doesn't recommend any values. I understand that there is not a
>> one-fits-all solution here but not knowing how to set these values correctly
>> might scared people aways from supporting TCP. So I think having a discussion
>> either of default values or how to derives these values based on a certain
>> configuration would be a very valuable contribution in this document.
>
> I've added some recommendations to the paragraphs in section 4.2.
>
> For the limit on total number of connections: "Absent any other information,
> 150 is a reasonable value for this limit in most cases."
>
> For the limit on connections per source address: "Absent any other
> information, 25 is a reasonable value for this limit in most cases."
>
> For the timeout on idle connections: "Absent any other information, 10
> seconds is a reasonable value for this timeout in most cases."

I think it would also make sense to explain a bit more why these values were taken and what considerations/“other information" can be used to make a different decisions. I know that might not be fully straight-forward but just providing “random” numbers might also only provide limited value.

Mirja