Is IETF doomed ? Re: IETF 112 will be a fully online meeting

Thanks a lot to everybody involved in this work.

I have one fundamental concern, and sorry for the title click-bait,
but this data point really raises an IMHO fundamental concern:

Referring to: https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/IETF_112_Madrid_go_no-go_assessment.pdf
Point 1.2 calculated that IETF would suffer a financial loss of $540k
if it only had 500 onsite participants (and $780k if it had only 300
onsite participants).

To a large extend this seems to be independent of covid,
except for global sponsorship, but that too at best could
be expected to be proportional to the number of in-person
attendees IMHO, so it would just shift the fundamentals a bit.

In conclusion, it seems we do not have worked out any models to support
in-person meetings at reduced cost, to financially allow meetings
with a smaller number of in-person attendants.
Is this a correct understanding ?

When covid hit, the SHMOO effort but even more so meetecho's work
provided real good solutions to improve remote participationship,
but it seems we have not made any progress in developing
a more cost-efficient, scale-down-able in-person meeting option
since 2016.

This would be highly discouraging, because it seemed to be clear to
me that when we started manycouches in 2016, the part of scaling
down cost for the in-meeting part was a crucial aspect of the
manycouches goals.

Do we agree this is a crucial issue and that we should work on it ?

IMHO, it is and we should, and making Madrid go virtual could give
us the time to do so into 2022.

Cheers
    Toerless