Re: IETF 112 will be a fully online meeting

(moved to the IETF list because it is clear to me that this is a global issue that we, all, not any specific WG, should work on)

Hi Jay, all,

Thanks a lot for the assessment, I agree on it almost 100%, with only a major specific issue.

While I agree with the assessment and that an "un-planned" hybrid meeting will not be financially sustainable unless we had already an hotel/host agreement that allows scaling the costs down, and clearly we know that many folks are afraid of traveling and/or can't because corporate policies, there is something that bothers me, which I've already challenged many times, and this assessment probes that I'm right.

The issue is about the US CDC being a barrier for any possible meeting (in any country).

I'm not anti-US or anything like that. I'm anti-anything that relays in decisions or information offered by *any* specific country authority, *including and specially Spain* (it has been proved by the recent Spanich Constitutional Court sentence that the Spanish government or its members are criminals, having violated the country Constitution, as I predicted in March 2020).

I can read "While some continue to challenge the use of
these sources, the IETF LLC and Secretariat
are US corporations and as such these notices
have a material impact on insurance and legal
liability.", and this has been used several times for justifying the use of the CDC information.

Can we have a demonstration, without confidential data of that?

I deal with insurances for many things in my business every other day and I'm convinced that there are alternative choices that will offer the same balance in terms of coverage/cost than the actual one, without challenging us in depending on the US CDC or any other country.

And if that's impossible we MUST decide if the IETF LLC is correctly grounded in US, or we shall look for a country that with a government that is more neutral and manipulates the rest of the world data at their own wish every other day, or not impacting in our decisions by reasons such as insurances or similar ones.

Can I remind that the US sources, as well as the UK ones, when the assessment for Spain was done, resulted in a recomendation that Spain shall not be used for conferences/events, because it was a country with high levels of terrorism from ETA? ETA was a problem in Spain 10-15 years before that recommendation. Shall we then agree that holding a meeting in UK, France, Belgium or US is not acceptable because they also have terrorist attacks, or everyone can carry a gun into the meeting room (US) ?

How we can keep trusting those sources?

Let's suppose that *only* this point was not met, and we have certainty that we will get very close to the regular in-person full attendance. Should have been meant as well that the decisions will have been "go" or "no-go"? If it has been "go", then this criterion should *explicitly* marked as informative and NOT NORMATIVE. If there is any chance it has been "no-go", then we MUST KNOW IT AND FIX IT.

I will like to have a clear answer to this question. I'm not asking for this specific meeting or any specific country. I'm asking if a single "against" US CDC or US alternative authorities' sources will be a blocking factor for any event in any country.

Clearly, we need to address this now and not keep bouncing on the same issue every few months.

By the way, in 1.2, I believe it was meant "700 remote", not 7000?

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet