Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-mpls-sr-label-type-06.txt> (Export of MPLS Segment Routing Label Type Information in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)) to Informational RFC

The IANA Considerations in this I-D are a nonsense; the I-D should not be published.

I commented on this on the OPSAWG list and the document shepherd essentially agreed with me that the IANA Considerations are rubbish and pointed me to the Shepherd write-up which describes how this has been discussed with IANA and with IPFIX experts (the registry is Expert Review) and an agreement has been reached as to what IANA should do instead of what is described in this I-D; this would address some but not all of my comments and would IMHO introduce a further error.

So publishing this I-D would leave a trail of misinformation to confuse those that come after.

My specific comments were

"2) The existing registry, and indeed the instructions setting up thereof, specifies three columns,
Value Description Reference
This I-D adds a fourth column,
Requester
What happens to that column for existing entries?

3) The Reference column for the existing entries points to RFC5102, the January 2008 Information Model for IPFIX; that RFC is obsoleted by RFC7012 which is the reference which IANA gives for the registry as a whole (which seems a good choice). For the new four entries here, the Reference is specified to be the RFC that defines the protocol which sets the MPLS label, nothing to do with the IPFIX RFC and nothing to do with this I-D in Last Call. Not exactly wrong, but seems inconsistent. Perhaps replace 5102 with 7012, make the Reference column for the new four values this I-D and make this I-D provide the link back to the protocol RFC (which sections 1 and 2 probably do already) and eliminate the fourth column.

I disagree with the Shepherd writeup where it renames the Reference column to be something else. Reference is something widely used and well understood. AFAICT the RFC that created the registry (RFC5102) does not specify the columns or format of the registry and so this is not technically an update to that RFC.

Tom Petch