Re: lots of dead addresses, was RFC793#ietf.org (was: Re: Proposed ietf.org email address policy)

On 2021-06-11, at 23:10, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suppose we could try and keep a voluntary address change database, perhaps starting with
> the collecion of addresses in the datatracker but I have little confidence it would be updated
> reliably enough to be useful.

Make it opt-in then:

Those who care about their RFCs can enable the RFC alias.

(Refine by adding quarterly nag mail and disable on delivery failure.
Might need some secretariat support to enable it for older RFCs.)

So I might not get mail through to rfc162@xxxxxxxx, but would be able to use rfc8990@xxxxxxxx as a convenient contact address.

Grüße, Carsten