Re: Updated IESG Statement "IESG Processing of RFC Errata for the IETF Stream"

Alvaro,

> On May 10, 2021, at 12:22 PM, Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On May 8, 2021 at 6:53:46 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
>

> Bob:
>
> Hi!

>> I think something is needed where the reported problem can be accepted, but
>> the fix can be rejected. Perhaps some new states, or a change to how the
>> Errata system works.
>
> You're right, *without proper explanation*, there is no explicit state
> that indicates a valid problem and an invalid solution.  Hold for
> Document Update is the closest as further discussion is obviously
> needed.
>
> However, even with a proper explanation, it may still be confusing
> whether the proposed solution is valid or not.  One of the issues is
> that there is a single notes field that is used by both the submitter
> and the verifier.  Also, these notes appear *after* the
> problem/solution have been described, making it harder to find
> relevant comments.
>
> Changing how the errata system works requires a wider discussion of
> course -- beyond what the current statement is intended for.

I agree, I wanted to start that discussion.    However, it might be good if the IESG statement mentioned this issue.

I note this is a real issue based on several Errata filed on IPv6 RFCs produced by 6MAN.   It was dealt with by rejecting the errata and filing a new one with a solution that the w.g. agree to.   Hardly an ideal situation and would have been avoided if problem reporting was separated from fixes.

Bob