Re: Status of this memo

Simon,

On 28-Apr-21 21:54, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I don't what made this click in my brain now rather than 20 years ago,
>> but think about this extract from our I-D boilerplate**:
>>
>> "Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
>> Task Force (IETF). Note that other groups may also distribute working
>> documents as Internet-Drafts."
>>
>> That's actually internally inconsistent and if the first sentence is
>> quoted without the second, it is actively misleading when (say) an
>> IRTF draft is concerned.
>>
>> Shouldn't those two sentences be combined into a more accurate single sentence?:
>>
>> Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
>> Force (IETF) or of other associated groups or individuals.
>>
>> **The exact wording of the boilerplate has changed since 20 years ago, but the problem has always existed.
>
> Sometimes the solution to a problem isn't to add or modify something, it
> is to take away something.  I suggest to drop this paragraph instead.
>
> As far as I can tell, the I-D boilerplate is something like the text
> below.  If BCP78/BCP79, including their normative references, do not
> contain sufficient information to explain this, I believe it is better
> to solve whatever the problem is there.  Further, the third paragraph
> about expiration is covered already by the normative reference to RFC
> 2026 section 2.2.
>
> Repeating things in different words can clarify, but it can also make
> things harder to understand when subtle differences creep in, as it
> appears to have done here.

That's true, but the people we are most concerned about when they
misinterpret the boilerplate (e.g. tech journalists) are highly
unlikely to read BCP78/BCP79 and, if they were to read BCP9 (RFC2026),
they would recoil in horror. So IMHO this boilerplate is essential.
That's why I was so annoyed with myself for not noticing the
internal inconsistency 20 years ago.

   Brian