Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-idr-ext-opt-param-11

Hi John,

>> Q1: As far as I understand, the document only defines a new BGP OPEN Optional
>> Parameter Type, but does not modify/add procedures in RFC 4271. So, is the
>> document really an update to RFC 4271? And, when reading RFC 5429, I cannot
>> find any text saying that new parameter types would require an update to RFC
>> 4271. I also looked at a few other RFCs that add new values to the BGP IANA
>> registry, and they were not updating any RFC.
>
> The document modifies the way a router parses the OPEN. It doesn’t just add a new type, indeed the new type is only added as a special token to tell the router to use the new procedures.

Would it be good to explicitly indicate that?

Something like:

   "This document updates RFC 4271 by extending, in a backward-compatible
   manner, the length of the Optional Parameters in the BGP OPEN, and by
   modifying the way a router parses the OPEN."

Regards,

Christer

> Nits/editorial comments:
>
> Q2: I suggest that Section 2 is renamed to  "New Optional Parameter Type code",
> or something like that. OR, if the document really is updating RFC 4271,
> perhaps "Update to RFC 4271".

I’ve adopted your second suggestion.

> Q3: I suggest that Section 3 is renamed to "Backward Compatibility", or
> something like that.

Done.

—John