Re: snarls in real life

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, at 09:47, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> > My domain has been signed since 2014 without any disruptions, with just
> > a modest monitoring script that has alerted me to pendign expiration
> > (automated re-signing wasn't kicking in) a couple of times, well before
> > the signatures expired.  The bugs that resulted in resigning not
> > happening have been fixed for some time, and I don't have to expend any
> > energy to keep DNSSEC running, it just works.

> That's you - you're an expert in this field.  Most people aren't.  And yet -
> as you mention, you had a bug with automated re-signing failing and had to add
> monitoring.

Once the DNSSEC support in Bind got to the point where it was able to handle
most (but not all) expiration issues automatically, I decided to give DNSSEC a
try.

It's simple enough to configure it for basic domains, but I have a split-horizon
setup, and that complicated things quite a bit.

Another problem was that a long time back I took advantage of an absurdly low
promotional price from a registrar that did (and AFAIK still doesn't) support
DNSSEC. I opted to eat the cost for a couple of domains and migrated to a
registrar that did (always a royal pain). I finally migrated the last of them
mid-2020.

However, in the process I managed to make a cut-and-paste error and ended up
with one valid and one invalid DS record for one of my infrequently-used
domains. Which was noticed by exactly nothing, including the DNSSEC testing tool
I happened to use to validate my setup.

Some time later I got a problem report from IANA. It seems that IANA has DNSSEC
checking enabled on mail server, I assume because they have enabled DANE
(although this was never 100% clear), and I happened to have used this domain
for an internal list forwarding address. Unfortunately the error message IANA
was seeing was misleading, so it took a bit of time to track down.

And I still have work to do because Bind has added a number of options that I
need to set, but before that can happen I need to upgrade Bind, and before that
can happen I need to upgrade some other stuff.

All this is for a total of 9 domains - a toy setup by any measure.

I know a little (but not a lot) about the DNS infrastructure at Oracle, and the
cost and complexity of migrating it to DNSSEC would be staggering.

				Ned