Re: What's the alternative to "snarling"?

On 4/19/21 2:00 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 4/19/21 4:09 PM, Leif Johansson wrote:

On 2021-04-19 21:46, Keith Moore wrote:
On 4/19/21 11:51 AM, Leif Johansson wrote:

In other words, they can spend all of their time politely explaining in detail why proposals are Bad Ideas, instead of getting useful work done.
Point to where the useful work will be done if we don’t stop this.
I don't want to either dismiss your concern (which I share) or sound flippant, but I also wonder where the useful work will be done if we DO stop this.
I appreciate your attempt to keep sticking to your point and trying to be serious about it but... I just don't buy the IETF as the group of brilliant but tortured souls who have "snarl" at each other to make themselves heard over the din of "Bad
Ideas".

Well, again, I'm not even sure we're all talking about the same thing when we use the word "snarling".   And while I'm pretty sure that we need a way to push back on Bad Ideas, I'm not sure that what people are calling "snarling" is only or even mostly about discouraging Bad Ideas.   Maybe, for example, some of it is about "baggage" - old resentments for hard-fought battles lost, perceived insults, or even genuinely bad behavior.

Since I was the one who introduced "snarling" to the conversation (sheesh, do I get a gold star or what?), what I was referring to was coming with, say, security concerns and in my case the document author quite literally snarled at me, or as best you can tell over email. I feel somewhat vindicated since they ended up writing an entire informational RFC on what I pointed out as being a no-no, but nobody cares in the real world and the vulnerability is still there out in the wild to be exploited. In that particular case there was a *huge* amount of incentive to sweep it under the rug, and that's exactly what happened.

Mike