Re: DNSSEC architecture vs reality

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 10:46:24AM +0200, Andrew McConachie wrote:
> There’s been too much focus on getting browsers to implement HTTPS/DANE.

Or not enough.

> These days HTTPS is used for all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with
> the web. Take the Fediverse for example. ActivityPub uses HTTPS for
> server-server communication in a manner similar to how MTAs use SMTP. There
> are plenty of other examples.

Thus there is now a DANISH mailing list, and who knows, we might end up
with a BoF and even a WG.

> My point is that if people want to see HTTPS/DANE deployments grow they
> should start hacking HTTPS/DANE validation into the numerous open source
> projects that act as HTTPS clients. Find communities of geeks to act as
> early adopters, and simply ignore the politics of large browser vendors as
> they’re obviously a lost cause.

That's certainly an option.

I think OpenSSL and other TLS implementations could have better DANE
ergonomics, for sure -- that may be a better place to start.

But SMTP has been a very good base for now because the application
exists, is widely deployed, greatly benefits from DANE, has significant
gubernamental support in Europe, etc.