Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

On 08-Apr-21 03:20, Tom Herbert wrote:
> So my fundamental concern with this draft is that it is an entirely
> qualitative description of a well known problem, however a qualitative
> analysis is insufficient input for moving extension headers forward.
> In the draft, there are several reasons suggested as to why routers
> might drop packets, however there is no indication of the relative
> occurrence frequency of these.

That seems to call for a fairly major measurement project by an
organisation like CAIDA or RIPE Labs, with collaborative ISPs.
While that is a perfectly good idea, it would presumably take
a couple of years to get data. I personally don't see it as a
valid reason to hold up this draft. Maybe the authors should
add a note about the need for data.

> Also, there are parameterizations
> mentioned such as in the state that routers might drop if the chain is
> "too long", there is no analysis on exactly what "too long" commonly
> is (a couple of sizes for parsing buffers are mentioned but without
> reference which is another frustration of mine with this draft). A
> quantified analysis of the problem would delve into implementations
> and deployment thereby providing actionable data. Note this is not the
> same as making recommendations, I am just asking for the operational
> data as part of the analysis from which we could derive guidance or
> new protocol requirements.

Again, I don't see how that can be done without a major and organised
effort. The issue of buffer sizes may also involve proprietary
information, which is another difficulty. Again, it is neither quick
nor easy to get data.

Regards
    Brian