Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

Rob Wilton (rwilton) wrote on 07/04/2021 15:22:
I guess that the authors could consider adding a sentence that it
also doesn't provide any recommendation on how end hosts make use of
extension headers, but that might be a bit incongruous in the sense
that the document doesn't appear to talk about end host behaviour at
all ...
well, this is kinda the concern that we as authors have. The document is completely clear that it's descriptive, and not prescriptive, and there is an entire disclaimer section which points this out. We get Tom's interest in having a document that tells forwarding stack software authors what to aim towards, but this isn't that document and we've got well-defined reasons for not wanting to move in that direction.

If Tom or others find that the idea of a descriptive-only document doesn't match what they would want, well ok, I guess that's understandable from the point of view of a software author - but consensus isn't unanimity either. As you suggest, adding an extra sentence as a further disclaimer seems incongruous and I'm not sure that it would turn the document into a better version of itself.

Nick