Re: [admin-discuss] IETF LLC Statement on OFAC Compliance Questions

On 4/7/21, 12:43 AM, "admin-discuss on behalf of Fernando Gont" <admin-discuss-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    >> We have no data to suggest OFAC rules have ever prevented any
    >> individual from participating in and contributing to the technical
    >> work of the IETF. We predict this will remain true in the future.
    >> OFAC rules thus do not appear to be a factor that will lead to a
    >> negative impact on the diversity and inclusiveness of the IETF.

    > May I ask what's the basis on which you've arrived to such conclusion?
    > For instance, do we have a long list of participants or I-D/RFC authors
    that implicitly probe that OFAC compliance are not an issue?

[JL] The basis was studying whether the organization has received reports from individuals that OFAC rules prevented their participation, including consultation with the Secretariat and our legal counsel. As noted before: "OFAC rules thus do not appear to be a factor that will lead to a negative impact on the diversity and inclusiveness of the IETF." In your effort to document anything that actually or even potentially affects participation, there is no reason to belive OFAC rules are one of those things or will be one in the future.