Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

On 05-Apr-21 08:16, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 07:22:53PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> Now let us come to "A Modest Proposal."
>> This is not the first time that satirical essay has come up in the IETF
>> context.

I searched my archive. I found evidence of 10 threads, not including the recent ones, containing the phrase "a modest proposal", going back to April 1994. None of them are satirical. On that evidence, I suggest that very few IETF people have used this phrase in its Swiftian or satirical meaning.

I'm not contradicting Sam, but just reporting on messages that I've chosen to archive.

As I said a few days ago, I don't think that satire is very useful in our context, because it doesn't translate well and may very easily be misunderstood by non-native readers of English.

Regards
   Brian