Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

    Larry> One way to assess intent is correlate with the amount of
    Larry> effort put into finding other, less offensive methods of
    Larry> making a point.

Why assess that?
If I know I'm skating close to an edge that is likely to get my audience
to be upset, I can explicitly talk about why I chose what I did and work
on building connection and empathy with them.

You don't need to assess my intent; you can instead look at what I
actually did, including the steps I chose to find empathy (and wrote
about) as part of the mix.