Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

On 2021-04-02, at 22:27, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/2/21 3:43 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>
>> while I think that the ability to express differing opinions is an important part of the openness that creates the IETF, we need to remember that this is not by itself an absolute value, but serves a purpose: enable productive discourse.
>>
>> The two “Les White” drafts weren’t humor, they were intended to incite discord, not foster discourse.
>
> Respectfully, I interpreted them differently.   (And I would prefer it if we didn't accuse others of ill intent without having considerable supporting evidence.)

You are right that I don’t have a way to actually know about the intent of the individual.

However, the drafts were signed as “SJWs R Us”.  This is a clear signal that leaves actual evil intent, or that brain-drowning feeling of righteousness that leads to the stupidest actions that are so hard to distinguish from evil intent.

Apart from the specific instance here, I certainly subscribe to the principle of not attributing to malice what can be explained by, er, lack of foresight [1].

Grüße, Carsten

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor