Re: is last-call working the way the IESG intended?

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021, at 23:10, Lars Eggert wrote:
Looking back at the mail archives, I noticed that the email establishing the last-call experiment (https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/LiB_dlvv3ZFlTF8hGp7GbGngqSg/) suggested two actions in the case that the experiment concluded successfully, which seem to have not been implemented yet:

1. update BCP 45 to formally move the location for last-call discussions (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc3005/)

2. update the 2007 IESG Statement on Last Call Guidance (https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/last-call-guidance/)

I've started an individual draft on the fist item (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eggert-bcp45bis/), and we'll discuss the second item in the IESG.

Thanks Lars.

As one of the moderators for the list, I've found it very light work.  I skim all the threads to make sure they're staying on topic, and so far everything has.  There hasn't been any misbehaviour.  draft-crocker certainly lead to one of the longest discussions but despite being full of quite strongly held and stated opinions, it did appear to stay on the topic of the draft.

I find the last-call list to be useful myself because it separates the last-call discussions from other general topics - and since last-call is a decent fraction of the ietf-wide work, it's handy regardless of whether you want to focus on the last-call work, or focus on the other.  I file it into a separate mailbox.

Cheers,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd