Re: rfc791 coming up to 40 years ... what to do (remember, celebrate, ...?)

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 04:57:28PM -0700, Joseph Touch wrote:
> IMO, what IPsec got wrong was tunnel mode; it should have just been
> transport mode and IP-IP tunneling (RFC 3884 explains why).

But IPsec also got transport mode wrong because what it really got wrong
was authentication and authorization.  Since IPsec deals in IP addresses
as node IDs it would want to authenticate IP addresses, but that's a
lost cause in IPv4 because IP address assignments are just too dynamic.
Authorization is downstream of authentication, so for IPsec it's busted
too.

A better approach would have been to have had connection latching (RFC
5660) and IPsec-specific socket options so that IPsec would do no
authorization in transport mode.  That would have left authorization to
the application, and then authentication could be PKIX (or KINK, or...)
without IPsec caring one bit about name types or forms (again, the apps
would deal with that).

If you get transport mode right like that, then gateways for IP
tunneling over transport mode IPsec would just have been one of many
applications.

But I'm the author of RFC 5660, so call me biased.  The above opinion
has been a minority view since the inception of the now-concluded BTNS
WG.

Nico