Re: [Last-Call] [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id-10.txt> (Connection Identifiers for DTLS 1.2) to Proposed Standard

On 13/03/2021 18:03, Thomas Fossati wrote:
hi Tom,

On 13/03/2021, 11:54, "tom petch" <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is your suggestion to remove the parenthetical?  I.e.:

OLD
     A zero-length value indicates that the server will send with the
     client's CID but does not wish the client to include a CID (or
     again, alternately, to use a zero-length CID).

NEW
     A zero-length value indicates that the server will send with the
     client's CID but does not wish the client to include a CID.

Thomas

Yes, that would fix this particular problem I have within this
section.

I word it that way since I did raise two other doubts about the
wording in this section in my original post, one about successful
negotiation, which seems to me an undefined term, and one about
sending and receiving, which seems over-restrictive in the context.

At the top of the thread, you suggested to change:

  If DTLS peers have negotiated the use of a CIDs using the ClientHello
  and the ServerHello messages

into:

  If DTLS peers have negotiated the use of a non-zero CID in at least
  one direction, using the ClientHello and the ServerHello messages

which is fine with me.

However, I think it doesn't completely remove the ambiguity you are
pointing at.  So I'd suggest we also change the paragraph just above
from:

    If DTLS peers have not negotiated the use of CIDs then the RFC
    6347-defined record format and content type MUST be used.

to:

    If DTLS peers have not negotiated the use of CIDs, which includes the
    case where both sent a zero-length cid in their connection_id
    extensions, then the RFC 6347-defined record format and content
    type MUST be used.

Thomas

Yes, I agree, that is needed as well.

Tom Petch

Regarding your suggestion:

"The DTLS peers determine whether incoming and outgoing messages
need.." seems not to cater for unidirectional CIDs; perhaps
"The DTLS peers determine whether incoming or outgoing, or both,
messages need.."

It surely works for me.

cheers, thanks!