Re: [admin-discuss] IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

Hello, Jay,

Thanks for your response! In-line....

On 3/3/21 20:42, Jay Daley wrote:
[...]

You may also not be aware of just how widespread the impact of
sanctions policies are and the nature of direct and indirect impact.

Not sure why you'd think so....

 Looking at the direct impact, every US company and individual
including the LLC is covered.  For example, every online service such
as Twitter, GitHub, every US based airline, every US drug company and
so on.   The much broader impact is indirect - a company outside of
the US that does business with sanctioned people/companies/countries
can in turn be subject to sanctions.

FWIW, I find this *very* oppressive.

So, to answer your question, yes we may end up in a situation where
we deny access to an in-person meeting to someone from an OFAC
sanctioned country - it depends on the specific person and the
circumstances around that.  We may even need to deny them remote
participation.  There are options available to us, such as applying
for a license or pursuing a more general exemption as a standards
setting organisation, but none of those can be guaranteed.

Is the issue associated with the economic transaction involved to pay the meeting fee? Or actually with participation (regardless of whether a fee is being paid or not)?

Put another way: would a fee waiver guarantee f2f/online meeting
participation of individuals from USA-sanctioned countries, as far as
the IETF LLC is concerned? (of course, visas and others are not up to the IETF).

And if such participation is not guaranteed, why would mailing-list
participation be any different in this respect? Or should one also expect that participants from USA-sanctioned countries could also be banned from employing the IETF mailing-lists?

No matter how much we might wish it to be different, we are
constrained by two inescapable facts:

1.  It is simply not possible to locate a company anywhere in the
world where it does not need to consider the impact of sanctions. 2.
It is simply not possible to find any location on the planet where everyone is free to travel to.

I haven't done such an assessment myself to be able to tell if things could be any different..

That said, in this particular case the sanctions would seem to affect even on-line participation (aside from travel/visa issues).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks