Re: What ASN.1 got right

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:09:06PM -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:
> > > Where? In any volume?
> > Corporate networks.  The only place where Kerberos is used.
>
> Really? What is the use case? I'm under the impression that Kerberos has
> mostly been relegated to Active Directory and that's about it. I like
> Kerberos, fwiw.

Use cases:

 - smartcards

 - anonymous Kerberos (requires PKINIT)

 - batch jobs

   You can have a trust anchor where a CA issues certificates with a
   Kerberos SAN and the PKINIT EKU and then that can be used to get
   tickets on behalf of that user for their batch jobs.

I don't like Kerberos, not Kerberos V, but I do like Needham-Schroeder,
and I suspect we may want to sprinkle a bit of Needham-Schroeder onto
a post-quantum future as an optimization for PQ crypto.

Nico