Re: What ASN.1 got right

On 3/2/21 4:51 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 04:43:10PM -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:
On 3/2/21 4:23 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
I wouldn't want to do this.  It's much more complex than the client
sending a certificate.
Huh? It's a bit of configuration on the server side that is probably
captured in provisioning systems. And client provisioning -- which is what
certs imply -- is extremely problematic. How do I get a client ssh cert onto
my phone's ssh app, for example? Not having to change client behavior or
provisioning significantly simplifies the problem.
It's the same problem as getting the keys into the directory.

But it's not the same problem as getting a cert (chain) out of the CA and installing it on the client. In the one case it is nothing at all to do, in the cert case it's a whole lot of things to do and go wrong. Client provisioning is a minefield and it speaks miles that there is little to no client cert deployment for anything. Even with ssh where clue is probably higher than average, I wouldn't want to think about the support desk implications.

Not having to do anything at all on the client is a significant savings. I
would much rather the help desk cost of nothing different than taking calls
on how to install the ssh certs on exotic and not so exotic clients.
Yes, if you ignore the part about having to get the keys into the
directory.
They both have to do that, so it cancels that out.

Uploading a new public keys is the ~same for both. Downloading a client cert
is a whole lot of something. And if your corpro directory is down, you are
already in a world of hurt. The advantage of offline verification in the age
of 24/7 internet is very niche.
We have an online CA with an HTTP API.  You POST a CSR authenticating
with whatever credentials you've got, and you get back a short-live
certificate for your authenticated name(s) or for the requested name(s)
if you're authorized to them.  Using this is trivial.

That doesn't alter that needing offline authentication is niche. A Mars rover might need that. My phone connected to the internet, not so much.

Mike