Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On Tue, 2021-03-02 at 05:20 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 3/1/2021 10:48 PM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> > I agree with whoever has mentioned it that "*octet* sequences" needs to
> > be removed or replaced. I hope this has already happened.
>
> The concern was to switch from 'byte' to 'octet'.  So octet is what the
> draft now uses.

Not exactly - here's the relevant excerpt (you responding to me):

   > So, use "emoji characters" or "code points" instead?
   >
   > (I tend to avoid the use of "byte" in favour of "octet" to
   > forestall complaints from the old DEC-10, DEC-20 and Cray
   > users anyway ☺)

   Well, indeed, my entrenched use of byte probably gets in the way,
   here...

   I want the term to be more low-level and physical, than abstract or
   conceptual.  That is, I'd like the term to be outside of the Unicode
   specialized terminology.  To that end, I think octet works well.

I didn't belabour the point then, but I still much prefer "code points"
(or "emoji characters").  (I probably should not have added the
parenthesis - it's a bad habit of mine to bring up such tangents.)

--
venleg helsing,
Kjetil T.