Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On 3/2/2021 6:15 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
I don't know whose concern was to make that particular switch
and why, but my concern about either (and, I'm guessing,
Martin's) is that almost all Unicode code points (those outside
the ASCII range) require more than one octet to represent in any
encoding scheme.  For UTF-8, which the I-D requires, the number
of octets is variable.  So using "octet" as a unit of --well,
much of anything--is, at best, confusing.

Oh goodie.  Another random, generic topic to bikeshed on.  How exciting.

John, Please point to specific text that you have objections to, please explain exactly what is problematic about it, and please provide specific text you propose to replace it with. It would also be nice for you to explain what makes the replacement text superior.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking