Re: coders in IETF (was: Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF)

From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 8:23 AM
To: Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ietf@xxxxxxxx" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: coders in IETF (was: Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF)

I don't do hackathons because I don't do coding on a laptop and I certainly don't do good coding while jetlagged. At this point my rig has a 42 inch 4K monitor flanked by two matched 30"ers. And I am starting to think about swapping out the 30"ers for two more 4Ks.

The Hackathon is typically more about determining what to code, discussing approaches with others, or testing that bits of code work with bits that others are writing. I doubt that the volume and quality of code produced during the Hackathon is as high as one might produce in one’s customized work environment. However, it provides the opportunity to be in the same space/room/conference with others working on the same code, similar code, or standards related to the code.

The hackathon is one of the things I think could probably be more productive as a virtual experience.

The feedback we have received is that while many find online IETF Hackathons useful, they are not as productive as in person Hackathons. People can code in a quite space any time. Getting a group of people with different but related interests together is more challenging.  Online hackathons help some with this, in person hackathons help even more.

What I plan to do for the Mesh is to set up a test service using the reference code that is conservative in what it accepts and liberal in what it sends. Which is something I can do using my approach to coding.

I am sure that would be helpful and much appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Charles