Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

On Feb 24, 2021, at 9:01 AM, Tom Herbert <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Your example is a good one, and has indeed two parts:

   "If you aren't careful with a knife, you could cut yourself"

This is a *fact* and I don't think there's much room for debate around it.

  "(so be careful with a knife)"

*This* is advice.

Our document contains the former (a fact), but not the later (advice).

Fernando,

The analogy doesn't hold here because unlike knives, extension headers
are not inherently dangerous

Right, and any recommendation should even avoid “3 EHs are OK but 4 are not”.

The answer is that the longer the EH, the higher the risk, but any fixed limit to EHs needs to be done as a standards-track update to IPv6.

This sort of “warning about how people do it” stuff has to be tempered with the fact that this is a snapshot in time.

Joe