Re: [Last-Call] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

On 19-Feb-21 06:56, Fernando Gont wrote:
> Hello, Gorry!
>
> Thanks a lot for your review. In-line....
>
> On 18/2/21 13:54, Gorry Fairhurst via Datatracker wrote:

>> * The ID also discusses use of the IPv6  Flow Label: This seems a little off
>> topic, but seems linked to EH implications on ECMP.  However, the final
>> sentence of this section is a reference to [Jaeggli-2018] which in turn
>> concludes that the IPv6 Flow Label should not be used it as a part of hashes
>> for load balancing. Yet, as far as I know, this is not the recommendation of
>> the IETF in 2020.
>
> FWIW, we discuss the Flow Label a bit because the usual reaction would
> be "why do you process the header chain for load-balancing, instead of
> employing the Flow Label?"

However, Gorry is right that citing Joel's operational comments is only part
of the story. I immodestly suggest citing RFC 7098 too, for a discussion
of how the flow label can in principle be used for server load balancing.

   Brian