Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-10.txt> (A YANG Data Model for NTP) to Proposed Standardsecurity

daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
> The -10 that I reviewed had
> - MD5 is used to turn an IPv6 address into a 32-bit identifier
> - MD5 can be used for authentication without constraint
> - AES-CMAC cannot be used for authentication.

SHA-1 is also in use.

> I do not have a view on the first but see the second and third as
> contradicting RFC8573 and so in need of change.  Allowing AES-CMAC I see
> as not controversial but do not have a view as to what to do with MD5
> used for authentication e.g.
> - allow without constraint
> - allow, but deprecated, in the YANG
> - allow with a note in Security COnsiderations
> - do not allow in the YANG

I would suggest adding a short note at the point of use indicating that it has
been deprecated with a pointer to the Security Considerations section and a
paragraph there summarizing RFC 8573.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.