[Last-Call] Antw: [EXT] Re: [Ntp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-10.txt> (A YANG Data Model for NTP) to Proposed Standardsecurity

>>> Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 08.02.2021 um 18:05 in
Nachricht
<CAB75xn7tXa1BCHd=KFR9DC=+bA01R1A+X2M4oUbrF-YLx8ExJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your detailed review. Lets discuss the security first ‑
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 6:07 PM tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> This is my second response to this Last Call, about a possible security
>> issue.
>>
>> RFC8573 seems clear that MD5 must not be used to effect security for NTP
>> but this I‑D imports iana‑crypt‑hash which allows MD5 without any
>> restriction, so is MD5 allowed or not?
>>

> Good question. While it is easy to restrict the use of MD5 by adding a
> must statement, I want to check if it is a good idea. The YANG model
> is written in such a way that it supports older versions of NTP as
> well. Would barring MD5 configuration be an issue if there are older
> implementations in the network still? I think perhaps adding a warning
> in the description is a good idea. I did a quick search and dont see
> other YANG models doing a check either. Would be good to get some
> guidance on this.

I just checked the docs of a recent ntpd: The docs say DES was replaced with
MD5, but they do in no way say that MD5 is obsolete.
For example the docs (man ntp.conf) say:
FILES
       /etc/ntp.conf  the default name of the configuration file
       ntp.keys       private MD5 keys

Regards,
Ulrich