IETF59 Quick Facts about IETF59 Wireless (was Re: IETF59 Hotel's Wireless Network)

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:41:09PM +0900, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> Rob Austein wrote:
>
> >>Then, why don't you shutdown IETF WLAN service today?
>
> I mean today at midnight or so.

It's basically because we wanted to provide what we have
promised for.

Hotel's access points for banquet area have been shutdown
to minimize interferences, and they are scheduled to
brought back up at around noon tomorrow afternoon before
we shutdown IETF59 network.

> >Ohta-san: given what I saw as part of the NOC team at IETF55, I very
> >much doubt that the hotel's WiFi could handle 1000+ users in one
> >ballroom, that is still very much the bleeding edge for 802.11.
>
> 1000+?
>
> I've heard that only about 1/4 of participants, which is a
> lot less than 4000, are from US and none of them will be in
> a ballroom tomorrow.

For the record, max concurrent 11b users were 525 during the
second afternoon session on Monday while there were max of
46 11a users during the last night's plenary(11b users topped
around 360 during the time). Number of unique nodes that
appeared so far is 1295.

These are quick facts made available from IETF59 NOC's lead
wireless geek, Masafumi OE from the WIDE project.  He is going
to make more information available later.

Regards,
Woohyong Choi / IETF59 NOC Team