Re: Maintenance WG: Re: How to get diversity of nominees was Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> One of the reasons some WGs linger is that their function requires
    >> continuous tweakage, GSSAPI/KITTEN being an example. Better to have
    >> one WG with the purpose of lingering than four lingering past their
    >> sell-by.

    > Yes, but there is a cost to the participants of being on an "area
    > maintenance" WG when there are long threads that have nothing to do
    > with the protocols on which they are experts.  (It would be different
    > if we used Usenet news readers, which I think you would agree)

I thought about having one WG with multiple mailing lists, but my experience
is that chairs get overworked.

Having more chairs means more opportunities for diversity, so I am for having
more WGs that are often quiet.   Although even chairs bitrot on process.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )